Tran Quoc Pagoda or Chua Tran Quoc is regarded as one of the oldest pagodas in Hanoi, Vietnam. It is located on a small peninsula on the eastern bank of Ho Tay or the West Lake in Hanoi.
The history of Chua Tran Quoc can be traced back to 545 AD, during a revolt by the Vietnamese against their Chinese occupiers. The national hero Ly Bon built a wood-and-bamboo citadel at the mouth of the Song To Lich. At the same time, he also built the Chua Khai Quoc, or Foundation of the Country Pagoda, by the banks of the Red River. Chua Khai Quoc was the original name for Chua Tran Quoc or Tran Quoc Pagoda.
In the 17th century, Khai Quoc Pagoda was moved to its present side on the peninsula in Ho Tay, and was renamed Tran Quoc Pagoda. Historian learned all this from a stelae found on the premises. The stelae dates back to 1639.